KidZone Spider Facts
Did you know...
- A fear of spiders is called Arachnophobia.
- Little Miss Muffet sat on her tuffet, eating her curds and whey… Miss Muffet was a real person! Her father, Dr. Mouffet believed that spiders could heal when eaten. Eek! If he was my dad, I’d be frightened of spiders, too!
- The largest spider in the world is the Giant Bird-eating spider. One that was found had a leg span of 28 cm (11 inches)!
- The smallest spider is the Patu digua. You could fit 10 of them on the end of a pencil.
- Spider silk is possibly the strongest material in the world! Scientists believe that if they gathered the same weight of spider web as a piece of steel, the web would be much stronger than the steel!
- As hard as scientists try, they cannot match or copy the silk.