KidZone Preschool Scissor Skills
Cut and Paste - Match the Seasons
All children develop as individuals. Parents and caregivers should use the age ratings below as a guideline, taking the abilities, temperament and interests of their children into account.
- Ages 5+ Easy cut and paste project for early grade school children learning about the seasons.
- Ages 4+ Can complete the entire project with little guidance.
- Age 3 Cutting out the cards will be an appropriate challenge. Some guidance will be required in assembly.
- Age 2 Will enjoy applying glue and pasting
the cards into the appropriate squares with guidance
Will likely not be able to cut out the cards,
Will enjoy cutting the scraps up into tiny pieces -- copying the adult who is cutting out the cards.
Preschool children are encouraged to practice scissor cutting to strengthen hand muscles and coordination for later skills such as writing. Fine motor skills (those skills that involve the small muscle movements of his hands and fingers in coordination with his eyes) are developed through cut and paste activities.
If an aspect of the project is frustrating to the child provide assistance - try to keep things fun. Sing songs, read stories or watch shows about the seasons to supplement the project - again focusing on extra activities that the child enjoys to help keep them motivated.
Take breaks, when necessary. Choose a time of day when you and the child are relaxed. Provide rewards (verbal encouragement, gold stars on "chore chart" checklists or awards for tasks that have been mastered) and change up the rewards when needed.
You must print both worksheets for this project. Cut the cards from template 1 and paste them onto template 2 to show the flow of the seasons from Spring through Winter:
- Worksheet 1: Cards (cut and paste to worksheet 2).
- Worksheet 2: Template with
hints as to where the cards should be glued.