Word Family Phonics - an, ap, at
The word families an, ap & at are a good phonics group to start with. They all have the short vowel a sound. There are a good variety of words in the families that have familiar picture clues (like cat, van, cap, etc).
Free Word Family Activities
- Draw the word families: draw a picture of the
following word families in action!
- an old man with a tan fan
- a chap with a cap
- a fat cat on a mat
- Create your own word family sentences using the ones above as a model. Try to create at least one sentence for each family.
- Create a short rhyme using your word families. This
is a good activity to do as a group. Here are some examples:
Run, run as fast as you can.
You can't catch me I'm the gingerbread man!
I have a very pretty cap.
I like to keep it on my lap.
One day a fat rat.
Ran away from a cat.
- Other activities:
- Use the free printable worksheets provided to reinforce the activities.
- Flash card activities:
These cards can be used for sentence building with the sentence sequencing activities.