Word Family Phonics - eck, ell, est
The word families eck, ell & est demonstrate the short vowel e sound. There are a good variety of words in the families that have familiar picture clues (like neck, bell, vest, etc).
Free Word Family Activities
- Draw the word families: draw a picture of the
following word families in action!
- The bird tried to peck my neck.
- The bell hung above the well.
- My guest has a nice vest.
- Create your own word family sentences using the ones above as a model. Try to create at least one sentence for each family.
- Create a short rhyme using your word families. This
is a good activity to do as a group. Here are some examples:
The wind just blew a tiny speck.
Of fluff -- it landed on my neck.
Ding-dong, I hear the bell.
I think the sound is really swell.
My brother's such a naughty pest!
He found my secret treasure chest!
- Other activities:
- 'ECK' word family: Practice writing out a check with the Kids'Bank Pretend Checks
- 'ELL' word family: Combine your word family lesson with a colours lesson using the Bonnie Blue Bell color buddy
- 'EST' word family:
- Use the free printable worksheets provided to reinforce the activities.
- Flash card activities:
These cards can be used for sentence building with the sentence sequencing activities.