Word Families - all, aw
The word families all & aw demonstrate the letter a making the short vowel o sound. (the /a/ in ball makes the same sound as the /o/ in dog). This is a somewhat challenging word family for children to learn.
Free Word Family Activities
- Draw the word families: draw a picture of the
following word families in action!
- Kick the ball
against the wall.
- I saw a cat licking her paw.
- Kick the ball against the wall.
- Create your own word family sentences using the ones above as a model. Try to create at least one sentence for each family.
- Create a short rhyme using your word families. This
is a good activity to do as a group. Here are some examples:
The cat I have is very tall,
And loves to chase a mouse that's small.
I like to write, I like to draw,
But I don't like to sleep in straw.
- Other activities:
- 'ALL' word family: Play games with a ball (soccer, catch, tennis, etc) - playing ball against a 'wall' is also nice.
- 'AW' word family: Crow
Paper Bag Craft - caw and claw are relevant.
- Use the free printable worksheets provided to reinforce the activities.
- Flash card activities:
These cards can be used for sentence building with the sentence sequencing activities.