[Back] [Activities] [List of Words] [Printable Worksheet]
Word Family Phonics - ed, en, et
The word families ed, en and et demonstrate the short vowel e sound.
Free Word Family Activities
- Draw the word families: draw a picture of the
following word families in action!
- Ned led the girl with the red sled
- the men chased the hen around her pen
- Bret, the vet, helped my pet
- Create your own word family sentences using the ones above as a model. Try to create at least one sentence for each family.
- Create a short rhyme using your word families. This
is a good activity to do as a group. Here are some examples:
First, I think, you will be fed.
Then, I think, you're off to bed!
In the secret, wooded glen.
Lives a very lovely wren.
Mom, where did I put my net?
I have to run and catch my pet!
- Other activities:
- 'ED' word family: Combine your word family lesson with a colours lesson using the Rosie Red color buddy
- 'EN' word family: Make a Hen Paper Craft.
- 'ET' word family: Make your favorite pet craft from DLTK's Pet Section.
- Use the free printable worksheets provided to reinforce the activities.
- Flash card activities:
These cards can be used for sentence building with the sentence sequencing activities.
Print two copies of the flashcard worksheets to play "concentration" (the memory game). Or print the flash card worksheets from a number of word families to play "go fish" or "snap".