[Back] [Activities] [List of Words] [Printable Worksheet]
Word Family Phonics - eck, ell, est
The word families eck, ell & est demonstrate the short vowel e sound. There are a good variety of words in the families that have familiar picture clues (like neck, bell, vest, etc).
Free Word Family Activities
- Draw the word families: draw a picture of the
following word families in action!
- The bird tried to peck my neck.
- The bell hung above the well.
- My guest has a nice vest.
- Create your own word family sentences using the ones above as a model. Try to create at least one sentence for each family.
- Create a short rhyme using your word families. This
is a good activity to do as a group. Here are some examples:
The wind just blew a tiny speck.
Of fluff -- it landed on my neck.
Ding-dong, I hear the bell.
I think the sound is really swell.
My brother's such a naughty pest!
He found my secret treasure chest!
- Other activities:
- 'ECK' word family: Practice writing out a check with the Kids'Bank Pretend Checks
- 'ELL' word family: Combine your word family lesson with a colours lesson using the Bonnie Blue Bell color buddy
- 'EST' word family:
- Use the free printable worksheets provided to reinforce the activities.
- Flash card activities:
These cards can be used for sentence building with the sentence sequencing activities.
Print two copies of the flashcard worksheets to play "concentration" (the memory game). Or print the flash card worksheets from a number of word families to play "go fish" or "snap".
Flash cards for the word families (6 each) [eck] [ell] [est]