[Back] [Activities] [List of Words] [Printable Worksheets]
Word Families - ack, and, ash
The word families ack, and & ash demonstrate the short vowel a sound.
Free Word Family Activities
- Draw the word families: draw a picture of the
following word families in action!
wore a pack
on his back
- Please do not stand on my hand
- I found some cash in the trash
- Jack wore a pack on his back
- Create your own word family sentences using the ones above as a model. Try to create at least one sentence for each family.
- Create a short rhyme using your word families. This
is a good activity to do as a group. Here are some examples:
Don't step on the crack.
Or you'll break your mother's back.
I searched the land, I searched the sand.
But could not find the golden band.
My brother and I clash in a flash.
Whenever he throws my dolls in the trash.
- Other activities:
- 'ACK' word family: Barry Black color buddy or make a collage of things that are black
- 'AND' and 'ASH' word family: combine the SAND and the SPLASH and have some beach themed fun outside on a nice day (slip and slide, sand box, etc)
- Use the free printable worksheets provided to reinforce the activities.
- Flash card activities:
These cards can be used for sentence building with the sentence sequencing activities.
Print two copies of this worksheet to play "concentration" (the memory game). Or print the flash card worksheets from a number of word families to play "go fish" or "snap".
Flash cards for the word families (6 each) [ack] [and] [ash]