[Back] [Activities] [List of Words] [Printable Worksheets]
Word Families - all, aw
The word families all & aw demonstrate the letter a making the short vowel o sound. (the /a/ in ball makes the same sound as the /o/ in dog). This is a somewhat challenging word family for children to learn.
Free Word Family Activities
- Draw the word families: draw a picture of the
following word families in action!
- Kick the ball
against the wall.
- I saw a cat licking her paw.
- Kick the ball against the wall.
- Create your own word family sentences using the ones above as a model. Try to create at least one sentence for each family.
- Create a short rhyme using your word families. This
is a good activity to do as a group. Here are some examples:
The cat I have is very tall,
And loves to chase a mouse that's small.
I like to write, I like to draw,
But I don't like to sleep in straw.
- Other activities:
- 'ALL' word family: Play games with a ball (soccer, catch, tennis, etc) - playing ball against a 'wall' is also nice.
- 'AW' word family: Crow Paper Bag Craft - caw and claw are relevant.
- Use the free printable worksheets provided to reinforce the activities.
- Flash card activities:
These cards can be used for sentence building with the sentence sequencing activities.
Print two copies of this worksheet to play "concentration" (the memory game). Or print the flash card worksheets from a number of word families to play "go fish" or "snap".
Flash cards for the word families (6 each) [all] [aw]