Word Families - ale, ame and ay
The word families ale, ame & ay demonstrate the long vowel a sound.
Free Word Family Activities
- Draw the word families: draw a picture of the
following word families in action!
- The whale
swam through the gale.
- We came to play a game.
- The whale swam through the gale.
- Create your own word family sentences using the ones above as a model. Try to create at least one sentence for each family.
- Create a short rhyme using your word families. This
is a good activity to do as a group. Here are some examples:
Last night I heard a scary tale,
About a one-eyed glowing whale.
I think I'd like to see my name,
Surrounded with a lot of fame.
Rain, rain go away,
Come again another day.
- Other activities:
- 'ALE' word family: Paper bag whale craft.
- 'AME' word family: play lots of different GAMEs.
- 'AY' word family: Nursery Rhymes - "Georgie Porgie" and "Rain, Rain Go Away"
- Use the free printable worksheets provided to reinforce the activities.
- Flash card activities:
These cards can be used for sentence building with the sentence sequencing activities.