[Back] [Activities] [List of Words] [Printable Worksheets]
Word Families - ale, ame and ay
The word families ale, ame & ay demonstrate the long vowel a sound.
Free Word Family Activities
- Draw the word families: draw a picture of the
following word families in action!
- The whale
swam through the gale.
- We came to play a game.
- The whale swam through the gale.
- Create your own word family sentences using the ones above as a model. Try to create at least one sentence for each family.
- Create a short rhyme using your word families. This
is a good activity to do as a group. Here are some examples:
Last night I heard a scary tale,
About a one-eyed glowing whale.
I think I'd like to see my name,
Surrounded with a lot of fame.
Rain, rain go away,
Come again another day.
- Other activities:
- 'ALE' word family: Paper bag whale craft.
- 'AME' word family: play lots of different GAMEs.
- 'AY' word family: Nursery Rhymes - "Georgie Porgie" and "Rain, Rain Go Away"
- Use the free printable worksheets provided to reinforce the activities.
- Flash card activities:
These cards can be used for sentence building with the sentence sequencing activities.
Print two copies of this worksheet to play "concentration" (the memory game). Or print the flash card worksheets from a number of word families to play "go fish" or "snap".
Flash cards for the word families (6 each) [ale] [ame] [ay]