Word Family Card Game
Print out at least eight copies of the word endings printouts for the word families you wish to practice and at least two copies of the lower case letters printouts. You can throw out some of the letters (like Z, Y, O, etc if that makes things easier).
Cut out the cards and attach to cardstock/laminate as desired.
Shuffle the cards and "deal" 3 to 5 cards per player (depending on how many players you have). Place the remaining cards face down in the middle. Flip over the top card and lie it face up beside the face down pile. (You end up with a face up and a face down card).
STEP 1: the player can choose to:
- pick the top card from the face up pile and
discard one of their cards (placing it on top of the face up pile)
- pick the top card from the face down pile (it
will be a surprise) and discard one of their cards (placing it on top of the
face up pile)
- skip STEP 1 (keep the cards they have in their hand)
STEP 2: the player can then choose to:
- place cards in front of them to form ONE word
family word. (the player can only form one word per turn.
- this can be 1 word ending card (words like "at" and "an" count!)
- one lower case letter card + 1 word ending card (c-at)
- two lower case letter cards + 1 word ending card (t-h-at)
- OR if they cannot form a word family word, the player must draw a card from the face down pile.
THEN the player sounds out the word family word they made (if they made one) and it is the next player's turn.
If doing this with younger players, you can print out the "Printable List of Word Family Words" in either color or black and white for them to peek at when playing the game.
- Word Family Endings Flash Cards
- Lower Case Letters Flash Cards